Monday 24 March 2014

DIY food: Granola greatness

make sure it is all spread out to get an even bake!
Who doesn't like yogurt and granola in the morning?? I sure do- and Nicholas LOVES it. He isn't much of a morning person but when it comes to breakfast, he likes to do the "healthy" thing and have granola.
So, since I find granola to be extremely expensive, I decided to make my own. It couldn't be that hard right?? RIGHT! It was easy peasy!!
I just looked at a few different recipes online and came up with my own version of them to make the granola- the most important part for me was to use maple syrup to sweeten because, well does that really need an explanation? It's maple syrup. Liquid gold.
yummy customizable granola for breakfast- can't be beat
The main reason why it was important for me to make my own granola is because then I know that there's nothing weird in it of course, and also it is fun to customize and experiment with different seeds, nuts and fruits!
Also, I don't love the boxed stuff- I find it just tastes bland- which means I end up not eating a proper breakfast, or eating something too heavy. The granola gives me the freedom to experiment and fills me up the perfect amount to keep me going all morning.
Making this granola encouraged me to get creative, contributed to my health by encouraging proper breakfast consumption, and also adhered to my attempt at a more sustainable life by reducing our waste production.
So, if you like granola DEFINITELY try making your own. Now I just have to make my own yogurt!

The main inspiration for my attempt was from the great Alton Brown- see his recipe here
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/granola-recipe.html


No comments:

Post a Comment