Wednesday 16 April 2014

DIY project: Reusable snack baggies

Snack time is anytime-and now it can be "green" too! I started making reusable snack baggies as gifts for my friends and family at Christmas. I immediately fell in love with the idea as someone who often carries snacks around with me, and because it seemed like a nice, simple introduction to sewing. 
I've sewn before but mostly just with my Grandmother, so sewing these little guys made me feel very accomplished :)

Sewing has always been something that I have wanted to be good at. Both of my Grandmothers sew- one made my prom dress, and the other has helped me make a jumper, a skirt/top combo and more. Being able to make my own clothes, and turn old clothes into new things is a transformation that continually amazes me. Not only does it open up opportunities for me to push my creative limits, but it is also a useful skill which I intend on using for the rest of my life. Yes, my future children are the ones dressed in weird handmade clothes...

The baggies are a really simple pattern, and don't take much time at all (you can find the pattern here: http://offbeathome.com/2012/03/craft-replace-plastic-bags). Also they are perfect gifts since they're homemade and practical. 

Also, what is better than a waste free lunch? That's right- NOTHING. This is just one more small thing that we can do to reduce our impact. A sustainable life is full of trial and error and doesn't come overnight. I sincerely believe that small things do make a difference. So experiment with sustainability. It could lead you to really cool places. Just like where these little baggies led me!

With the skills I learnt from my Grandmas, and with some help from Pinterest, I have entered the world of bartering! Since I started making the product, I have traded them with two people for different sets of earrings! It works perfectly- I enjoy making the baggies, and by trading them, I get some high quality and highly creative homemade goods in return! 




SO if anyone is interested- I am super willing to barter some more snack pouches for anything you have to offer! Also, if you like the earrings I got in return, just let me know and I can point you in the right direction.




2 comments:

  1. My grandmas are also both amazing seamstresses and I have sewed lots of projects with them in the past too. Last summer I was gifted my own sewing machine, and while I was in Burkina I picked up a LOT of beautiful fabrics. But, even though I often look excitedly at my machine but I have lacked inspiration for making anything. I've been trying to find a simple project to get me used to sewing again, this time with less Grandma guidance. I think I will give this project a try! Thanks for giving me some inspiration and hopefully getting my creative sewing juices flowing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh! this post is awesome! I can't wait to see your future children in the super awesome home made clothes you make them! Have you sold any baggies yet without bartering? I don't have anything to trade but am interested in some baggies! Also, what do you do for washing them? -lys <3

    ReplyDelete