Monday 28 April 2014

DIY food: Jalapeno poppers

OK. I am NOT a spicy person. Well, not in terms of food tastes at least ;) I often shy away from hot foods, but recently I have been working on my tolerance! I try really hard to eat more and more spicy things so I can start enjoying them instead of wanting to rip my face off and dunk it in a vat of milk. 
So, one random evening when Nick wanted to buy Jalepeno poppers I suggested we make them ourselves instead. I had frozen a bunch of Jalapenos from the summer time at the farm, so we picked up some cream cheese and instead of breading them, decided to wrap them in bacon- because it is so much healthier of course. 
So- not much to them, pretty much cut the peppers in half, take out the seeds, stuff with cream cheese and wrap in a half slice of bacon! then bake and 350 until they look yummy.
Of course they are MUCH more delicious than store bought- and no weird added preservatives and crap! BUT they are also MUCH hotter. By the end we were just eating the cream cheese and bacon. No shame. 



HOT HOT HOT

Lesson from this one? Experimenting is fun, but also taking something that you know already and finding a healthier way to make it is also fun, and can sometimes be even more rewarding. Let's all admit it. Even though we all know homemade should taste better, sometimes food from a box is just so delicious and satisfying because, well it has to be or people wouldn't buy it. So, being able to personally re-create something you always just automatically associate with "processed" makes you feel so accomplished- you just won at life by making something that is good store bought taste even better by making it yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment